Haas Tyron 2000XL 2.0 - Commercial & Industrial Waste

Client

Binn Group

Equipment

Haas Tyron 2000XL 2.0

Application

Commercial & Industrial Waste

Binn-Group-Ltd-HAAS-Tyron-2000XL-2-0.jpg

Background

Binn Group is Scotland’s largest independent and leading provider of integrated recycling and waste management services. Their array of service’s focus on recycling, reuse, waste minimisation, landfill diversion and improving the environment. Scottish waste regulations are demanding that only 5% of Scotland’s waste is to be sent to landfill by 2025, and Binn Group are making large strides to achieve this. 


Binn operate a materials recycling facility where a wide variety of recyclable materials are separated, graded, baled and sent to re-processors. As a result, over 86% of all the materials entering the facility are transformed into useful commodities. The remaining 14% is then processed into SFR (Solid Recovered Fuel), which generates electricity and power from the materials that would have otherwise gone to landfill. 


To get the material ready for SFR, it must be shredded down to between 250 – 300mm and dried. Previously, this shredding stage had been completed by a single shaft shredder which struggled to consistently produce the required size of product. 
 

Challenge

In order to increase the quality of their SFR, Binn decided that a new shredder was needed, capable of consistently outputting the required 250 – 300mm shred size. After speaking with Matpro, it was agreed that the Haas Tyron 2000XL 2.0 would be most suitable. 


The Haas Tyron is a twin shaft shredder, with the shafts being hydraulically driven, independent of each other. This allows the shafts to be reversed, combatting against material becoming wrapped around the shafts. This will reduce the amount of downtime spent clearing wrapped material compared to the single shaft shredder which cannot reverse its shafts due to its direct drive set-up. 
 

Solution

The twin shaft Haas Tryon also has sensors inbuilt to detect pressure on the shafts. This allows the shredder to detect when a foreign object has entered the shredding chamber. Once detected, the shafts will automatically reverse, clear the material, and try again. If after 3 attempts to shred the material it is still detecting a foreign object, the shredder will stop to allow the material to be removed. This process ensures that no un-shredded material leaves the chamber, with the final product consistently shred to the required size. Unlike the single shaft shredder which would eject foreign objects, along with any other un-shredded material currently in the chamber, creating inconsistencies of particle size in the resulting product. 


See the new Haas Tyron 2000XL 2.0 in action at Binn Group’s site in the video below. 
https://youtu.be/z4s-He4bpTU


Following our site visit to see how their new shredder was performing, we spoke with Stewart Smith, Operations Director at Binn Group about his opinion on the new shredder and his dealings with CRJ Services…


“We chose this [Haas Tyron 2000XL 2.0] for it’s twin shaft set up, and the ability to reduce the material to the size required. We would certainly recommend the Haas Tyron 2000XL 2.0, and after developing a relationship with Ben over a number of years, we would certainly recommend CRJ Services.”
 

We chose this [Haas Tyron 2000XL 2.0] for it’s twin shaft set up, and the ability to reduce the material to the size required. We would certainly recommend the Haas Tyron 2000XL 2.0, and after developing a relationship with Ben over a number of years, we would certainly recommend CRJ Services.

Stewart Smith

Operations Director

Binn Group

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now

×